The College School believes that children need to develop healthy lifestyle habits to best grow, learn and thrive. These practices help students fully engage in all academic opportunities and contribute to a positive learning environment and community. Our athletic program, anchored in our physical education classes, is an important part of the development and growth of the whole child. The particular sports and teams we have vary year by year. Here are a few ways examples of The College School athletic program:
- Physical Education Classes: along with learning game theory for sports like floor hockey, soccer, softball, and basketball in Physical Education classes, we also have non-traditional classes such as rock climbing or yoga.
- Middle School Basketball Team: middle school students have the opportunity to play for our basketball team, which practices three times a week (connected to class) for a sememester and competes against many local teams.
- Soccer Team: most years, we have a younger and an older soccer team that competes against area teams.
- Other TCS Teams: we also occasionally have a Flag-Football team or an Ultimate Frisbee team that competes against area schools.
- Girls on the Run - the nationally recognized "Girls On The Run" program is offered to students, grades three through eight. Teachers and parents are the mentors and coaches to the girls as they gain self-esteem by training for a 5K race;
- Other TCS Teams: in addition to the teams hosted by The College School, many families join together to form or participate in basketball or baseball leagues (such as Clayton Rec League) outside of the school system; those teams practice at The College School, and are another opportunity for athletic development.
- Starting in 2011, all TCS sports teams will carry the mascot of "The TCS Dragons."